The BEST fall activities for kids in a classroom setting include arts & crafts, fall science, STEM activities, literacy, and math ideas kids will love!
Fall is a bustling time in our classrooms. The excitement of a new school year is still going strong, and our students are eager to learn. Apples and pumpkins, leaves, and the changing seasons all provide excellent themes for learning activities. Look no further! Here are 30 of the best fall activities for the classroom!
30 Fall Activities for Kids
Need some ideas to use with your students this autumn? Seasonal activities are the most fun! These ideas, activities, and freebies are the perfect inspiration for your fall lessons and will keep your class busy and motivated.
Fall Activities for Kids: Arts and Crafts
Coloring, cutting, and pasting results in beautiful fall arts and crafts displays in your classroom. When the projects are completed, your students will enjoy looking at them in the classroom and proudly share them with their parents at home. Try these great ideas!
1. Children can learn how to read, listen to, and follow directions in this turkey directed drawing activity.
2. Take a little glue and salt, and add watercolor paints to create these watercolor fall leaves.
3. Toilet paper rolls can be used to create a unique leaf stamping project.
4. Take tiny bits of tissue paper and create a beautiful fall tree.
5. A fun craftivity for a fall farm unit ~ make a popsicle stick scarecrow.
6. Read an informative book about bats and try this watercolor art activity.
7. Celebrate the Day of the Dead with a sugar skull directed drawing.
Fall Activities for Kids: Science and STEM Activities
The following fall classroom ideas include Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Try these activities if you’re trying to incorporate more of these learning opportunities into your fall lessons.
8. Mixing up ELA and Science has never been more fun than with this abundant fall science unit that includes lessons on pumpkins, apples, leaves, and more!
9. Apples are a healthy treat and make for a fun, hands-on inquiry unit. This FREE apple resource will add a delicious Science and sensory exploration to your lessons.
10. Teach children about leaves in the fall with a book about leaves and an activity to further their understanding.
11. Explore the concept of color and the understanding of chlorophyll with this leaf science experiment.
12. Learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin with these hands-on activities.
13. Try this fun falling leaf activity with contact paper that results in a unique piece of artwork.
14. Teach children about units of measurement with this fun corn and popcorn sensory bin.
Fall Activities for Kids: Literacy, Writing, and Books
Give children many opportunities to practice reading and writing in their daily learning activities. A unit about fall most certainly needs a literacy and writing component. Take a look at these recommendations.
15. This is a helpful list of children’s books about autumn that you may find useful.
16. This dove peace foldable writing craft promotes peace during the fall holidays.
17. Learn about Hispanic heritage with these book suggestions.
18. Practice upper and lower case letters with a sorting tree.
19. Here are some ideas for using the book Stone Soup in the classroom for teaching thankfulness.
20. CVC words are more fun to build on an apple tree mat.
21. In this letter recognition activity, Students grab and cover the appropriate letters on the pumpkin.
Fall Activities for Kids: Math Ideas
Math is sometimes challenging to fit in when you are doing a fun unit theme. But in this case, plenty of Math activities abound.
22. These are the cutest turkeys to make and a great way to review the many ways to represent numbers.
23. Practice counting and basic addition with this fall math worksheet pack.
24. Snack time can be fun with this roll-and-eat snack mat (for a nut-free classroom, use raisins or other small treats).
25. Apples, Johnny Appleseed, and apple trees make great glyphs and graphing activities.
Just for Fun! Fall Activities for Kids
Whether you are adding onto a themed lesson plan or finding ways to fill in some gaps in your schedule, these activities won’t disappoint. They’re fast, fun, and easy to implement on the spur of the moment.
26. Learning about apples? This apple unit is full of fun activities to use in your classroom.
27. Keep little minds and busy hands engaged with these fall leaves activities.
28. Having some playdough on hand is always great, and these fall-scented playdough recipes are just perfect.
29. Torn paper, paint, and Q-tips create a fall tree picture that any child can complete independently, regardless of artistic ability.
30. Let kids sponge paint fall shapes to create straightforward artwork for the walls of your room.
These 30 fall activities for kids will help once you’ve begun a fall thematic unit in your classroom or just want to add fun fall activities to your lessons. Try them with your students today, and have a fabulous fall!
FREE Fall Directed Drawing Activities
Try this set of directed drawing, plus writing and reading activities this fall! Use these activities and your read-aloud for a fun fall lesson!
Click the image below to download a copy.
Do you need lesson ideas and activities for your fall unit? Make learning all about fall fun with the engaging hands-on non-fiction ELA and science mini-lessons and activities in the Fall Science & Non-Fiction Unit.
This resource will help your first grade, second grade, or third grade students build writing skills, understand the informational text and build reading comprehension, and learn interesting facts about pumpkins, apples, and leaves this fall season.
More Fall Activities for Kids