Lists of favorite children’s books about fall. Includes fiction and non-fiction books about pumpkins, leaves, spiders, bats, and owls.
A List of Fall Children’s Book Favorites
Today I am sharing my round-ups of my favorite children’s books for fall about pumpkins, leaves, spiders, bats, owls, and more. These are books I have read and shared with my primary students. We use these books for our fall theme study. We read both fiction and non-fiction stories about all the changes that occur in fall.
These are books that I place on our big bookshelf of theme books so that they are readily available to children in fall. These are also books that I have brought home to share and experience with my own children.
In the classroom, we use thematic books for many things. We read non-fiction titles to learn new information that can be used for writing. We read fiction titles to experience a story like the characters in a book. Here is why reading thematic, nonfiction/fiction books is important.
If you are looking for some engaging and informative reads that are suitable for primary aged students, then these books are for you! Check out your local library for these popular titles or buy them (affiliate links provided below) to build your own collection!
Happy autumn reading!
- Seed, Sprout, Pumpkin, Pie by Jill Esbaum
- Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell
- The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger
- It’s Fall by Linda Glaser
- Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
- Why Do Leaves Change Color? by Loretta Krupinski
- Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert
- We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. My personal favorite fall read-aloud!
- Fall (The Seasons) by Nuria Roca
- Let It Fall by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
- Fall Mixed Up by Bob Raczka
- Fall (Seasons) by Sian Smith and Rebecca Rissman
- Insect or Spider: How do you know? by Melissa Stewart
- The Life Cycle of a Spider by Bobbi Kalman
- Spiders! (Time for Kids Science Scoops) by Editors of Time for Kids
- Be Nice to Spiders by Margaret Bloy Graham
- Spinning Spiders by Melvin Berger
- Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti by Gerald McDermott
- Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin
- Aaaarrgghh! Spider! by Lydia Monks
- National Geographic Readers: Spiders by Laura Marsh
- Are You a Spider? (Backyard Books) by Judy Allen
- The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- Spiders by Gail Gibbons
- Owls by Gail Gibbons
- National Geographic Readers: Owls by Laura Marsh
- Little Owl’s Night by Divya Srinivasan
- Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
- Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
- Owls by Adrienne Manson
- Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton
- The Barn Owls by Tony Johnston
- Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins
- The Sleepy Owl by Marcus Pfister
- The Little White Owl by Tracey Corderoy
- Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise by Sean Taylor
- Nightsong by Ari Berk
- Bats at the Library by Brian Lies
- Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies
- Bats by Gail Gibbons
- Zipping, Zapping, Zooming Bats by Ann Earle
- National Geographic Readers: Bats by Elizabeth Carney
- The Truth About Bats (Magic Tree House Chapter Book) by Eva Moore
- Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
- Bat Jamboree by Kathi Appelt
- Bats! (Time for Kids Science Scoop) by Nicole Iorio
- There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Bat by Lucille Colandro
- Bats (Noctunal Animals) by J. Angelique Johnson
FREE Fall Directed Drawing Activities
Try this set of directed drawing, plus writing and reading activities this fall! Use these activities, along with your read alouds for a fun fall lesson!
Click the image below to download a copy.
More Ideas for Fall