A turkey drawing lesson for teachers with step-by-step directions. This directed drawing makes a great art lesson for Thanksgiving.
Turkey Directed Drawing Step-by-Step Guide
1. Each person is given a large piece of white art paper and asked to turn it portrait style. They can use a pencil and eraser (sparingly) to draw each step as I demo each step.
2. Start with the head shape. I explain it should look like an upside-down V shape.
3. Add a curved line across the upper part of the head.
4. Add 2 circles close together for the eyes. I let them choose the direction the irises are pointing.
5. Add the turkey waddle to the side of the head. I explain that it’s a squiggle line down and back up.
6. Add a big circle for the body under the head.
7. Draw on 2 legs under the circle. They can go in whichever direction they choose.
8. Add 2 wings on the side of the body, like 3 fingers on a hand.
9. Draw the back feathers starting on top of the head, like upside down U’s and work their way around each side. Make sure to connect them with the body, not just the head!
Turkey Drawing Final Touches
- Body: brown
- Waddle: red
- The rest was up to them.
- Then, I encouraged them to create colourful back feathers. I also have them to use a background colour they hadn’t used yet to create contrast.
FREE Printable Turkey Drawing Directions
This Turkey Drawing is included in Directed Drawing Mats
Add directed drawings to your weekly lesson plans to help children follow directions and build drawing skills. There are 5 different directed drawings included each month of Drawing Mats!
Like this turkey drawing, and want more directed drawing resources?
The ultimate guide to teaching directed drawing in the classroom. Directed drawing art activities help kids produce masterpieces and build confidence. This guide provides a listing of directed drawing resources, suggested materials, and FREE step by step tutorials. Click HERE to check it out!
MORE Directed Drawing Activities
P.S. – Don’t miss Black Friday deals and discounts for teachers! Click this image below:
FREE Directed Drawing Email Series
Sign up for the directed drawing email series filled with tips to get you started, strategies for success, and tons of FREE tutorials you can access right away. Everything you need to build drawing confidence and have fun at the same time!