Kids will love creating artwork from this list of winter directed drawings in seasonal themes they love!
Easy Winter Directed Drawings
Do your students get antsy or a little bored in the winter due to poor weather? Do your students need simple activities they can do on inside days? Perhaps you live in a warm climate, but want students to “experience” winter in a different way?
Using directed drawings in the classroom can fill just such a need. There are many wonderful reasons to try directed drawing!
To fill those days when you are stuck inside for recess, I have compiled a list of my favorite directed drawings kids will love to create this winter.
Fun Winter Directed Drawing Ideas
- Christmas Directed Drawings – No winter would be complete without Christmas-themed drawings. Students will love the elf, reindeer, Santa, tree, and gingerbread man. Easy and fun for the kids!
- Santa Claus Drawing Project – Your winter-themed drawings MUST include one of the jolly man himself. Kids will love drawing Santa!
- Winter Animals – Kids like to draw “winter animals” like penguins and polar bears. Lead them in a directed drawing of both in this activity.
- Snowman Project – This directed drawing is a teacher-favorite! It can involve a little more than just drawing, if you want to try using watercolors to brighten it up.
- February themes – As the winter moves into February, help your kids draw a cupid and groundhog to celebrate holidays this month!
- Cute winter bird – This is a simple drawing the kids will enjoy. Pair it with a discussion on how to help birds in winter.
- Create a Calendar – Have kids make their own directed drawing calendar as a Christmas gift for a relative or memory book. Each month features pictures drawn by the child.
Resources to Support Winter Drawings
Combine drawing and art skills along with other winter-themed activities to enhance learning with the ideas below.
You can always pair a directed drawing with a book!
Here is a list of some great winter-theme children’s books.
- The Mitten by Jan Brett- A Ukrainian folktale that takes place in the winter. Includes lots of animals and beautiful pictures.
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats- This book shows the adventures of a little boy on a snowy day!
- The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming- A fun book set to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas.
- Animals in Winter by Henrietta Bancroft- Pair this book about how animals cope in the winter with a directed drawing of one of the animals from the book!
- Sneezy the Snowman by Maureen Wright- This silly book would be great to read before doing the snowman directed drawing.
- For a more comprehensive list of winter-themed books, check out this post!
Do you need a break? Let someone else teach!
Use these videos to assist.
- Check out all of these directed drawing videos on Art For Kids Hub.
- These cool winter videos for kids to watch on snowy days are great!
Winter doesn’t have to be a boring time! There is so much to celebrate and lots of ways to make the days brighter. Kids will LOVE getting to draw these winter-inspired pictures. And they will be working on various skills while they do it.
FREE Winter Directed Drawings
Grab a winter-themed set of five directed drawings and tons of reading and writing activities to try this season! It is a sample of the Themed Directed Drawing Bundle.
Click the image below to get your free sample pack!
More Directed Drawing Resources
Use drawing mats weekly to provide a fun thematic break each week. Or, use drawings to create a monthly calendar using seasonal and holiday themes.
Not sure where to start? Learn how to teach directed drawing in this free e-course.
Just as much as the other seasons, winter provides many opportunities to bring in directed drawings. Drawings can cover many topics, including weather, major holidays, and cold-weather animals. Which will you try next?
More Classroom Activities for Winter
PIN for Later!
FREE Directed Drawing Email Series
Sign up for the directed drawing email series filled with tips to get you started, strategies for success, and tons of FREE tutorials you can access right away. Everything you need to build drawing confidence and have fun at the same time!