Kindergarten, first, and second grade kids will have fun learning how to draw a bee, butterfly, Easter Bunny, and other Spring drawing ideas.
Simple Spring Drawing Ideas You Can Use at Home or in the Classroom
Are you hanging in there through the winter? Are you ready for Spring as much as I am? Soon the days start getting longer, and the snow will melt, and Spring will be upon us. Spring is always an exciting time, as the earth comes back to life after a few bleak months.
But in the classroom, Spring can also be a whirlwind of activity. There is a curriculum to cover, tests to administer, paperwork to do, projects to complete, etc. We can get caught up in the to-do lists and forget to enjoy the season.
Bring in a bit of fun, but keep it educational with Spring drawing ideas.
Spring directed drawings are teacher-led, in which students follow a step-by-step process to create a specific picture. There are benefits to using directed drawings, including building confidence, working on following directions, and just being fun!
Here are some simple and easy spring drawing ideas that children will love!
- Bumblebee – Look for the free copy of the bumblebee directed drawing at the end of this article which outlines lots of fun spring activities. What a good way to tie together art and science! Talk about bees while you draw one!
- Easter Bunny – Bring in some holiday spirit with this cute Easter bunny directed drawing. Would make a sweet present for parents, once finished.
- Butterfly – This sweet butterfly would make a beautiful spring art activity to accompany a lesson about a butterfly’s life cycle.
- Leprechaun – Kids will enjoy drawing this fun leprechaun when you talk about St. Patrick’s Day and build those leprechaun traps.
- Monthly themes – Find more fun seasonal and holiday drawings, categorized by spring months of March, April, and May.
Spring Books & Videos
If you are looking for videos to lead the directed drawing, check out any of the Art for Kids Hub videos. Then, use some spring-themed books to go along with your drawings.
- Caterpillar to Butterfly by Laura Marsh – Teach the life cycle of a butterfly, then draw one!
- Spring is Here by Heidi Gray – Explore some of the highlights of springtime in this sweet book.
- When Spring Comes by Kevin Henkes – See all the changes that occur as winter gives way to spring.
- Everything Spring by Jill Esbaum – Kids will love the sweet pictures of baby animals in spring.
- The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle – Watch the life cycle of a flower unfold before your eyes! Perfect for reading as you learn to draw a butterfly or bee.
Read these Books, Then Draw!
Other Spring Activities
Along with your drawings, learn about Spring and each holiday within. You can add drawings to reading, writing, science lessons, and more!
Here are a collection of ideas that will help you plan fulfilling activities this Spring.
- Spring-Themed Activities for Kids that are Lively and Fun – Get some great ideas for activities here!
- Spring Craft ideas– There are many crafts that can be incorporated into your spring time curriculum. Check them out!
- Fun Ways to Teach Directed Drawing in Your Weekly Lessons – Get some good tips and ideas for using directed drawing in your lessons.
- Websites for Directed Drawings – Check out these websites that will help with teaching directed drawings in your classroom.
Hopefully, this has given you some simple and fun ideas for spring-themed activities that can enrich your curriculum!
FREE Spring Drawings Ideas
Want to get two free Spring drawing ideas to use with your kids? Click the images below to sign up and get two free adorable directed drawing activities to add to your spring plans!
Bumblebee Spring Directed Drawing
Easter Bunny Directed Drawing
More Directed Drawing Resources
Use drawing mats weekly to provide a fun thematic break each week. Or use drawings to create a monthly calendar using seasonal and holiday themes.
More Spring Lesson Ideas
PIN for Later
FREE Directed Drawing Email Series
Sign up for the directed drawing email series filled with tips to get you started, strategies for success, and tons of FREE tutorials you can access right away. Everything you need to build drawing confidence and have fun at the same time!