This list of social-emotional learning online resources provides teachers with meaningful online tools to share with parents and use for distance learning, homeschooling, and 1:1 classroom learning.
Social-Emotional Learning: Online Games, Activities, and Curriculum
Academics is the central part of the educational puzzle and the primary purpose of schooling. However, an even more critical factor to consider is social-emotional development.
Currently, we are experiencing restrictions, social distancing, stay-at-home orders, and quarantines. In the midst of this, kids and parents may be struggling at home. For example, there are financial worries, job issues, and distance learning. Naturally, this can be very stressful for everyone.
Now is a great time to introduce online social-emotional learning tools that address self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
Social-Emotional Learning: Online Teacher/Parent Resources & Tools
Easily adapt social-emotional learning in the home setting. Use a variety of games, tools, resources, apps, videos, and materials. This leads to a healthy dose of family discussions and activities that will help children develop into well-adjusted individuals. This collection of resources as an excellent start for teachers and parents alike.
- Character Tree – A collection of videos in various categories, including kindness, integrity, teamwork, empathy, respect, and more.
- Open Future Institute – Program to support educators as they strengthen the social-emotional wellbeing of their students.
- Common Sense Education – Social-emotional learning educator toolkit with six character traits and classroom-ready resources for each category.
- Edutopia – Platform that helps students develop skills to manage their emotions, resolve conflicts, and make responsible decisions. Also, check out this Edutopia video that highlights the Resolving Conflict Creatively Program.
- Classroom Practices – This video explores the classroom practices that make up the best and most effective SEL programs: the five keys to social and emotional learning success.
- FREE Social-Emotional Learning eCourse – a FREE email series that addresses character education in the classroom.
- Empathy & Social Awareness for K-2 – These are hands-on and mindful activities about empathy, inclusion, and community.
- Curriculum Resources for Social-Emotional Learning – TeacherVision and Breathe for a Change assembled a series of printables, lesson plans, videos, and activities to develop a social-emotional program.
Social-Emotional Learning Online: Key Topics
- Gratitude & Respect – K-2 Social Emotional Learning – Hands-on and mindful activities that teach children about respect, acceptance, honesty, and gratitude.
- Respect Unit – 3-5 Social Emotional Learning – Lessons filled that teach older kids about what respect means, ways to show respect, integrity and honesty, accepting differences, and stereotypes.
KINDNESS and GROWTH MINDSET:
- Kindness Journal – Character Strong’s kindness journal is a useful resource for teaching.
- Centervention – Free lessons, activities, and printables in the following skill areas: Communication, Cooperation, Emotion Regulation, Empathy, and more.
- Morning Meetings – Social-emotional learning topics with their daily themes, greetings, questions, and activities to complete your online or in-class meetings.
- Growth Mindset for K-2 – Teach children about their elastic brain, a fixed and growth mindset, perseverance, learning from mistakes, failures, challenges, and the power of YET with this comprehensive unit.
- Growth Mindset & SMART Goal Setting for 3-5 – Curriculum about a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset, the parts of the brain, and that it can be changed, about mistakes and challenges, having grit, the power of yet, and SMART goal setting.
BEHAVIOR, EMOTIONS, and COPING SKILLS:
- Emotional ABCs – Try these practical tools for dealing with impulse control, frustration, and acting out.
- Emotional Awareness Book Companions – Pair these 5 popular children’s books to help children further their emotional awareness skills.
- My Pandemic Workbook – This website has a variety of guided workbooks to help deal with stress and tragedy.
- Good Puppy Home Behavioral & Emotional System – These guides support parents and children by providing essentials for getting through the stress of having children at home full-time.
- Scholastic Worksheets – Resources that focus on identifying emotions to deal with challenging times like violence and tragedies.
- SEL Book Suggestions – This catalog includes many valuable book suggestions categorized by topic to support social-emotional development.
- Emotions & Feelings Unit for K-2 – Hands-on and mindful activities that encourage children to express themselves and build essential social and emotional skills
SELF-AWARENESS and SELF-MANAGEMENT:
- Self Awareness Unit for 3-5 – Teach about identifying and communicating emotions, personality traits, self-esteem, and role models.
- Mindfulness & Self Management Unit for 3-5 – Hands-on and mindful activities that teach kids ways to self-regulate, be mindful, and manage stress.
- FREE Balloon Breathing Posters – Empower children to calm down independently with this breathing method. Grab the free posters to teach and help calm kids anywhere, anytime!
- Self-Regulation, Calm Down Kit, & Self-Esteem Unit for K-2 – Teach children how to self-regulate, calm down, be mindful, and develop self-control and self-esteem.
- Social Awareness: Empathy, Peer Pressure, Conflict Resolution, Bullying Unit for 3-5 – Teach social expectations and social cues, empathy, and anti-bullying.
RESPONSIBILITY, GOAL-SETTING, and DECISION-MAKING:
- Preschool Problem Solving – Discover five ways parents can help preschoolers develop problem-solving abilities and meet appropriate milestones in development.
- Responsibility, Goal Setting, & Conflict Resolution Unit for K-2 – Teach children about responsibility, goal setting, peaceful problem solving, and anti-bullying.
- Responsibility, Leadership, & Decision Making Unit for 3-5 – Teach older kids about what responsibility means, ways to be responsible, what leadership is, ways to be a leader, and responsible decision making.
Online Social-Emotional Learning Games, Apps & Videos
Apps, videos, and games make the learning experience fun and engaging.
- Edumotion – These SEL Journeys Learn@Home lessons provide opportunities for music and movement.
- 16 Social-Emotional Learning Games – This article highlights games that address the social-emotional mindset.
- Mazaam – FREE app through June 30, 2020, that uses classical music for children ages four to six to promote the development of emotional, cognitive, and psychomotor skills.
- Smekens Education – Free SEL video “mini-lessons” for K-12 students on reading, writing, and social-emotional learning.
- Breathe Think Do – An app that teaches skills such as problem-solving, self-control, planning, and task persistence.
- Go Noodle – Practicing good energy at home is easy with this app with engaging movement and mindfulness videos.
- Positive Penguins – App that deals with challenging emotions and how to deal with them to empower yourself.
- Smiling Mind – App to gain an understanding of mindfulness and modern meditation.
- Emotionary app – This app is a unique type of dictionary that gives young people the tools and skills to express themselves.
Incorporate some of these tools and resources to better cope with these challenging times. The whole child develops when properly dealing with the social and emotional behavioral component. Helping children learn coping techniques now will empower them as adults.
Social-Emotional Learning Lessons and Activities
The following social-emotional learning resources are filled with games that build important skills, as well as lesson plans, activities, discussion starters, and so much more.
Teach children in K-2 the most essential lessons in life when they need it the most with units and activities on emotions, self-regulation, growth mindset, empathy, and social awareness, friendship, kindness, respect, and responsibility. Click here to learn more.
Free Social-Emotional Learning Pack & Calendar for Distance Learning
Grab a free copy of social-emotional activities by clicking the image below.
More SEL Online Games and Activities
FREE Social Emotional Learning Email Series
Sign up for the social emotional learning email course filled with tips to get you started, lesson and activity ideas, PLUS tons of FREE resources you can access right away. Everything you need to teach social skills and emotional literacy in the classroom!