When it comes to learning to read, sight word classroom games are effective and fun. In addition to phonics, learning sight words can help students become fluent readers, which is why it plays such a foundational role. A great way to teach sight words is to have fun with it in the classroom, using games and activities that will keep them engaged and learning.
Fun Sight Word Classroom Games that Actually Work
If you’re looking for fun ways to get your students excited about sight words, then you need to stock up on sight word classroom games! When students play sight word games, they’re engaged as they practice these important skills. Their engagement means that these fun sight word classroom games really work! From card games to board games and more, your students will enjoy learning sight words with these classroom activities.
Sight Word Classroom Card Games
Card games are a great way for students to practice sight words. From popcorn to crackers, these themed card games are sure to keep your students engaged and learning.
- Sight Words Splat – If you’re looking for sight word classroom games that can be played individually or in small groups, Sight Words Splat is the perfect solution!
- Pop for Sight Words – Your students will love learning their sight words with this popcorn-themed game.
- Pop for Sight Words 2 – If your students loved learning with Pop for Sight Words, then double the fun with even more sight words!
- Stacker Crackers Sight Words Game – This classroom game will help your students build their knowledge of sight words.
- Sight-Word Steps – This sight word game will get your students up and moving!
Sight Word Classroom Board Games
Kids love board games, which is why sight word board games are so effective! These board games will give kids the opportunity to practice their sight words using Bingo, Pizza, and Pete the Cat.
- Digging Up Sight Words – Here’s a sight word game that will help your students learn sight words and how to use them in a sentence.
- Sight Word Space Station – Your students will enjoy out of this world fun when they play this sight word game.
- Sight Words Bingo – This sight word classroom game can be played in small groups or with the entire class.
- Zingo Sight Words – This bingo-style game is sure to help your students learn their sight words. Add in the fact that it’s fun, and it’ll quickly become a classroom favorite.
- Pete the Cat Groovy Words Game – Pete the Cat is here to teach your students all about sight words!
- 4-in-a-Row Sight Words Game – This sight word game, an educational game similar to Connect 4, is sure to be fun for students!
- Sight Words Pizza – Who doesn’t love pizza? Now your kids can combine the fun of pizza with sight words with this classroom game.
Hands-On Sight Word Classroom Games
Hands-on activities are a great way to keep kids engaged and moving, which is why these hands-on sight word games are a must-have! Your students will get to build 3D puzzles, make a dinosaur skeleton, go fishing and more with these sight word classroom games.
- Sight Word Swat – Not only will your students have fun learning their sight words, you’ll get the chance to assess their sight word recognition.
- Hot Dots Jr. – Use this classroom resource to teach your students all about sight words, as well as other literacy skills.
- Let’s Go Fishing Reading Game – Combine the fun of Let’s Go Fishing with sight words using this fun classroom game.
- Sight Word Skeleton Card Game – Students will have hands-on fun building a 3D puzzle while also practicing their sight words. How fun!
- Learning Wrap-Ups Sight Words – This sight word game can help students match words with pictures, making it a great learning activity for students.
- Fox in the Box Position Word Activity Set – Here’s a fun way for your students to practice their position sight words!
- 3D Sight Word Sentences – Students will love using 3D objects to build their sight word sentences!
Sight Word Classroom Sentences Games
The first step to learning sight words is to recognize them on sight. After they’re easily recognizable, students should start using them in sentences. This shows that not only do they know the sight word, they know what it means and how it should be used. These sight word classroom games help students master this important skill.
- First 100 Sight Words Sentence Builder – How can sight words be used in sentences? Help your students find out with this sight word game.
- Read & Build Sight Word Sentences – Students need to know how to use sight words in sentences, which is why this game is a must-have for any classroom.
- Rule Crazy – This reading game features 72 sight words for your students to practice!
- Really Good Stuff Sight Word Sentence Ice Cream Cones – Ice cream is the perfect theme to use for learning sight words! Your students will enjoy practicing sight word sentences with this game.
- Word Racer – Not only does this classroom game teach sight words, it also teaches other important literacy skills.
Sight words are foundational to learning to read and increasing fluency. When a student knows sight words, it makes reading easier, helping to build their confidence and skill. These sight word classroom games help your students practice common sight words, giving them the skills they need to be better readers.
Read More About Teaching Sight Words
Sight Word Resources for the Classroom
Master Fry’s First 300 words sight word with this jam-packed resource bundle.
Learn to read and spell with the Dolch sight words program for kids.