The most complete list of resources for online reading for kids. Includes programs and apps for home reading, distance learning, or the classroom.
Build Literacy Skills with Online Reading Programs and Apps for Kids
Did you know that reading 6 minutes a day reduces stress by 68 percent? Did you know children learn 4,000 to 12,000 words a year from reading?
Learning from home is the perfect time to develop a love and habit of reading daily. Try some of these suggestions to motivate the kids to read every single day.
- Design a reading log – When kids create their own log, they will love filling it in.
- Goal and countdown chain – Set a reading goal for a period of time. Every time you finish a book, add another paper link to your chain. You can always do the reverse and start with a long length of paper chain pieces. Rip a link every day when you complete a book.
- Make a reading nook or fort – Get some comfy floor pillows! Set them in a space conveniently beside a bookshelf or basket. Kids will curl up with a good book if it’s a cozy environment.
- Subscribe to a children’s magazine – Kids love getting mail – especially about topics they find interesting.
- Join a book club – Book clubs help keep kids accountable. They also increase excitement about books.
- Take books with you – Bring books with you while traveling and on vacation. Or, let kids bring books with them while waiting on their sibling’s karate lesson or soccer practice!
- Visit the library regularly – Using the library is a no-brainer. Making a great habit of visiting the library weekly will help establish an interest in reading. If you can’t visit the library, try an online library (links below).
- Try a new reading app! – So many reading apps are available for all devices. See the list below for all the best apps I could find!
Continue the learning process, engage curious minds, and inspire kids! Use these suggested online reading programs and apps. Below, you will find full curricula, resources with specific concepts, apps, online libraries, and more!
General Online Reading Programs and Apps
Here are some successful reading programs online that you will enjoy. Some of them are currently offering some great deals, too! Conveniently, you can access many of them with memberships and free trials.
- ABCmouse.com – Reading, math, science, art & colors ages 2-8. Currently, they have a one-year for $45 sale (click here). Alternately, use this link to get your first month FREE (Click here).
- Raz Kids (Learning A to Z) – This award-winning education resource company helps teachers reach students at their level. As a Learning A-Z Referral Program member, I’m able to offer you a $5 discount to Learning A-Z websites! In order to do so, please use my promo code NB2034 to take advantage of this discount offer.
- K5 Learning – Reading – Kids work on reading lessons at their own level and pace. Of course, other subjects are included too. It includes customized printable worksheets for further study accompany each lesson. They offer a FREE 14-day trial.
- CNK Digital – ClickN KIDS programs are the best reading programs and spelling programs that children love!
- Studydog – Adventures in Reading Program builds a strong foundation for early reading at over 3,000 schools nationwide.
- Book Adventure – Management, assessment, and motivation of independent reading with books from home.
- Agnitus – Combine leading research and technology into curriculum-based, fun learning games (website and app).
- Smart Tutor – Award-winning K-5 curriculum developed and refined from years of feedback and collaborations among professionals and experts.
- ABCya – Find tons of educational games for kids here.
- Alphabet Activities – This is a collection of resources that can be used year-round as well as for distance learning.
- IXL Learning – This site is great for covering gaps in learning, not only in Reading but other subjects too.
- Learn with Homer – Fun, interactive way to spark your child’s passion for reading. Primarily, this app helps your child to build critical skills with a personalized learn-to-read plan! FREE trial.
Online Phonics Programs and Apps
Do your kids need phonics practice? For instance, are they missing some key concepts? Then, you’re going to want to check out these great apps. They’ll help with phonics rules and spelling practice that needs filling in.
- Reading Bear – Free online vocabulary and reading concepts program. In addition, it teaches all the main phonetic patterns.
- Epic! – It is a digital library for 12 and under, making books easily accessible. Read the best books for early readers on Epic! & get access to more than 40,000 amazing children’s books.
- Kiz Phonics – Excellent progressive program for teaching kids to read using a systematic phonics approach.
- Teach Your Monster to Read – A game that lets kids go from reading letters and sounds to reading full sentences.
- Reading Eggs – Online games and activities that are fun and rewarding to help kids learn to read.
- Starfall – This wildly popular website and app lets kids read, play, learn, and grow.
- Reading Kingdom – Online K-3 reading program – the first program to use the groundbreaking “Phonics-PLUS” system.
- Progressive Phonics – All-in-one reading program that is easy, fun, and FREE.
- Reading Rockets – Readers build phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension skills.
Online Reading Comprehension & Fluency Practice
Just wanting practice in comprehension and fluency? These sites won’t disappoint. For example, they all provide more than enough opportunities to sharpen comprehension and fluency. Check them out!
- ReadWorks – Reading comprehension site that works.
- Reading Comprehension Passages – This distance learning tool for practicing reading comprehension can be used digitally. However, it is also print-and-go for classroom use! Activities have a short reading passage and three follow-up sections to complete.
- Reading Fluency with Weekly Poems – FREE subscriber series to help you build reading fluency with a weekly poem.
- Free Reading Program – This is a robust kindergarten to grade 6 level Reading program that includes over 3600 online lessons. Plus, it is free for anyone with an internet connection and computer/tablet.
- Read Every Night Folder – FREE subscriber series to teach you how to begin a program to track reading at home.
- Poetry Mega Bundle – Poem of the week with differentiated activities to build literacy skills and reading fluency.
- Read Theory – Personalized reading comprehension exercises for K-12 and ESL students.
- Into the Book – This is a reading comprehension resource for elementary students and teachers.
Online Books and Libraries
Sometimes it’s just hard to get to the local library. However, that won’t hold your learners back! They can access thousands of books online with these amazing resources. Plus, many of them are FREE!
- Farfaria – App with an online library and access to over 400 stories for children in the 2-9 age range.
- Storyline Online – Books read by famous people – how awesome is that?
- Barnes & Noble FREE Ebooks – Find FREE ebooks for the Nook tablet.
- Storytime from Space – Astronauts offer an exciting take on read-alouds.
- Rivet – Find 3,500 free books for students in kindergarten through third grade.
- Oxford Owl – Read 250 eBooks on tablets or computers.
- Vooks – Brings children’s books to life with animated illustrations, read-along text, and narrated story.
- I Like Stories – Magical app filled with over 30+ gorgeous children’s picture books. However, it does require in-app purchases after six free stories.
- Reading IQ – This is a digital library full of books and resources.
- Global Digital Library – Free books for kids to read as well as online games.
- Children’s Book Review – Book reviews for kids of all ages.
- Choosito – This smart search engine safely searches the web for resources based on your students’ reading level.
- International Children’s Digital Library – Here are popular children’s books from all over the world.
- Story Place – Have a virtual experience of going to the library and participating in the same types of activities the library offers.
- Magic Blox – Read kids’ books online.
- Overdrive App – Thousands of eBooks, audiobooks, and videos from your local library.
Use these reading programs and apps to take you on a literary adventure! Relax and unwind with some excellent books as you explore new worlds.
More Online Reading for Kids
Home Reading Program – Create your own DIY home reading folders!
PIN for Later