Today I am excited to share a fantastic was to teach and practice math skills daily. It is using monthly Math Mats for daily math fact practice.
A Breakdown of a Math Math
Math Skills Covered in Math Mats
- Addition word problems
- Subtraction word problems
- Addition math fact practice with fingers, number lines, 10 frames, and pictures, as well as figuring out the missing addends, adding 3 numbers, and whether equations are true or false.
- Subtraction math fact practice with fingers, number lines, 10 frames, and pictures, as well as finding out the missing numbers, subtracting 3 numbers, and whether equations are true or false.
- 2D Geometry – draw, identify, and describe shapes
- 3D Geometry – identify, describe, and match shapes with real life objects
- Measurement – counting number of units, describing which object is tallest/shortest/longest, and drawing objects that are taller/shorter/longer
- Time to the hour and half hour – add hands on clocks & reading clocks
- Months of the year
- Numbers to 100 – fill in missing numbers and completing number charts
- Write number words to 20
- Place value to 20 – counting and drawing ones and tens blocks
- Greater and less than
- 1/10 more or less
- Number order to 100
- Ordinal numbers to 10
- Tally marks
- Skip Counting by 2’s, 5’s, & 10’s – counting groups and using the skip counting patterns
- Graphing – adding data onto graphs and answering questions
- Sorting – counting groups and making a sorting rule
- Patterning – create and complete different types of patterns
- Money – identify and count coins (provided in Canadian on additional pages)
4 Ways to Use Math Mats
- Copy Math Mats on card stock and laminate. You could also put the pages inside a wipe-off cover. Give students a dry erase pen to complete the Math Mat for that day. After they complete a mat, they simply clean it off and give to someone else to complete. They work great for your math center and during your fast finisher time.
2. A cover page is provided in each Math Mat pack with the option of creating a booklet for your students. These booklets work great for morning work time or for homework packets to send home with your students each month. Parents would love that!
Teachers Approve Math Mats
Free Math Mats for First Grade
The Complete Math Mats Resource
FREE Number Sense Email Series
Sign up for the building number sense email series filled with effective strategies, must try activities, and FREE resources to build routines in your classroom. Everything you need to help kids grow their number sense and have fun at the same time!