Set up and organize your math block time with the math workshop toolkit, which includes posters, planning sheets, and more.
The meaning of the MATH acronym:
- students complete activities or math problems in their math journals,
- complete math minutes or math fact practice, or
- complete a math question of the day that is posted.
- students complete a math assignment in their math workbook or
- whichever math program or worksheets you assign.
For Teacher Time,
- students meet with the teacher in small groups or
- as a larger grade group to work on a new skill for that day.
T could also stand for ‘Tech Time’ when students play with math apps or on computers.
- students complete a math game or
- complete a math center.
I place my materials for these games and centers in my numbered drawers, and students are instructed to complete one of the activities.
Setting Up Your Math Workshop
How-To Use a Math Workshop
- Students rotate through each part of the MATH workshop model in an order determined by you (displayed on a bulletin board).
- Take time at the beginning of the school year to build the confidence and skills in your students that they will need for success in each area of the math workshop. Show them how the system works and where to find the necessary materials. Explicitly teach the expectations during this time.
- Once students are comfortable with each part of the workshop, set them up in small groups (grade/ability groupings) and assign them a group number. You could use clothespins with student names and clip them onto the grouping cards for easy changes.
- Once groups have learned the rotation schedule, they are ready to proceed through the math workshop. Use the EDITABLE planning sheets to write down what each group will be working on during each part of the math workshop rotation.
Math Workshop Organization
Math Workshop Classroom Kit
Find the complete Math Workshop Tool Kit HERE.
Try the Mindful Math Comprehensive Program
More Math Workshop Ideas for You!
FREE Number Sense Email Series
Sign up for the building number sense email series filled with effective strategies, must try activities, and FREE resources to build routines in your classroom. Everything you need to help kids grow their number sense and have fun at the same time!