Today I am sharing my round-up of Christmas storybook favorites. These are the books I have collected over the years and love to share with children at Christmas. If you are a teacher, bring your Christmas books from the classroom home to share with your family. Everyone, young and old, will enjoy a Christmas storybook!
At our house, we take out our collection of Christmas storybook favorites from hiding every December. We place them in a giant box near the fireplace. The box reads “Don’t Open Until Christmas!” My children know the books are “extra special” and it builds anticipation as we read and pick each book.
Each day we take out a book to read and share it together by the Christmas tree. We read each one together as a before bedtime story. You could wrap each book to have your children open each night as a special tradition. After we’ve read them we place them standing on our large table by the fireplace. This way we can reread them whenever we’d like.
Making storybooks “special” by having a collection of books ready to share together creates a love for reading. Your children will be asking for books all December long!
Christmas Storybook Favorites
If you are looking for wonderfully, engaging Christmas storybooks to share with your children this Christmas, these books are for you! Check out your local library for these popular titles or purchase them for Christmas delivery (affiliate links provided below) to build your own collection of Christmas storybook favorites!
- Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini – An adorable rhyme storybook that will have your children laughing as the moose makes himself the Christmas tree when he forgets to get a real tree.
- How to Catch Santa by Jean Reagan – A clever how-to book of how to catch Santa Claus on Christmas eve and once you do what to do with him. Your children will love to imagine with this storybook!
- Santa’s Stuck by Rhonda Glower Greene – Your children will love this fun storybook when Santa eats too many goodies and get’s stuck in the chimney on Christmas eve.
- How Santa Got his Job by Stephen Krensky – A cute storybook about how Santa discovered his dream job as Santa Claus thanks to some helpful elves.
- It’s Christmas, David! by David Shannon – Everyone loves the mischievous little David as he gets into trouble doing those Christmas things that we all can relate to.
- Disney Christmas Storybook Collection by Elle D. Risco – Children will love this storybook collection that features their favorite Disney characters on Christmas.
- Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner – A fun snowy story about what snowmen do outside at Christmas.
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin – Pete saves Christmas when he helps Santa who has come down with a cold by delivering all the giftsto the children while signing his song.
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer by Thea Feldman – A classic storybook commemorating the famous Christmas song featuring Rudolph.
- The Night Before Christmas by Charles Santore – A wonderful new version of the classic Christmas poem with beautiful illustrations that every family should own and read each year.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss – A classic rhyming storybook featuring the Grinch and how his Christmas spirit grew.
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson – An adorable story of a bear and how his friends keep him awake to prepare for and enjoy the Christmas magic.
- Turkey Claus by Wendi Silvano – A fun book about how turkey escapes being the Christmas dinner again thanks to Santa and his visit to the North Pole.
Merry Christmas and Happy Reading!